Monday, January 30, 2012

Remembering a Great Man




It’s wild in the most heart numbing way. I’m 100 miles away, seemingly cut off from all the things that made me who I am, my only connection a floating group of ones and zeros that become pictures on screens. And when I read it as a line on a screen, I see the man standing right in front of me, showing me where my feet go, where my elbow goes, where my eyes go if I want to make the shot.

Erick Auxier: RIP Coach Kisker.. you were a great coach/teacher but even a better man.. thanks for the laughs.. you'll be missed..

There was something about that voice that sticks in my brain like honey in the tiny hairs on the back of my hand. It had a twang. Not a southern accent or a country accent, a twang unique to him. It was rife with sarcasm and sincerity at the same time. Half the time, I didn’t know if I’d done something wrong or right until he turned away and smiled.

Keaton Guess: Thoughts and prayers to the Kisker family. His legacy and impact will live through those who were lucky enough to know him. The ideal Spoofhound and man. R.I.P Mr. Kisker.

To see a man who could walk through the chaos of a high school hallway like he was strolling the outfield of any park in any town in America is special. I don’t remember him yelling. I remember him stating things as facts. Meade, you need to watch your language. Fact. And I knew, I needed to watch my language. Now, when I see a student with a cell phone in class, You need to put away your phone. Fact.

Joe Drake: Lost a great spoofhound today...coach kisker thanks for all the great memories

Losing the people who helped shape us is hard, especially when we consider the tremendous family and influence those people leave behind. It seems like a mistake, a clerical error or something. He’s not supposed to go. There must be a mix up somewhere. He does good. He helps people.

Amanda Postelwait: My heart is broken and I'm sending so many prayers to the Kisker family right now.
Mr. Kisker was not only a great teacher and coach but a wonderful role model and friend. He touched our lives in so many ways, brought much laughter and smiles to our faces, and taught us very important life lessons that we will never forget. He was by far my favorite teacher in High School and thanks to him he made me appreciate learning and everything in high school so much more at that time. He's an amazing man and I can only hope that other people will have the chance to meet somebody like him in their life someday. R.I.P. and much love always.

We wish peace upon him, but the dead don’t struggle for peace, the living do. We struggle to fill the vacuum of goodness. We struggle to find someone who can take a skinny, foul mouth kid and help make him a man. We struggle with the notion that tomorrow we’ll round a corner and he won’t be there.

Sydney Brisbane: Otw back home for 2 days wish it was a dream.....

And then a day goes by, and it still hurts. And then a week. Eventually, the hurt moves to a place reserved for the constant heartache of being human, a familiar and somewhat comforting ache. It’s an ache that dusts off the emotions that let us know we cared greatly for someone. It lets us know we lost someone who truly mattered to this world.

Me: Thank you Coach Kisker.

No comments:

Post a Comment